Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Bottle Of White, A Bottle Of Red

...Or perhaps just a canister of Pledge instead?

Contrary to pop-cultured belief, it turns out the good don't always die young -- no matter how hard they may try sometimes.

In the splashy new tell-all memoir out this week entitled Billy Joel: The Life & Times of an Angry Young Man, it's revealed the Bronx born rock star's long time issues with drinking almost cost him his life. 'Cept this time, his poison was real: furniture polish.

In the early 1970's, guilt ridden from an adulterous affair he had with his own drummer's wife, the world's most popular Piano Man was found just in time, completely comatose in a cedar closet by the former drummer friend himself. A note left behind at the scene kept Joel on suicide watch at a Long Island psych ward, where he revealed furniture polish hadn't been his first choice, claiming though, "it looked tastier than bleach."

Cashing in on all the hoopla, some local bars have already added a new drink to their menus: the bubbly, blue CosMop&Glopolitan.

In all seriousness, I love you Billy, Just The Way You Are: alive, albeit still tortured. But alive, first and foremost.

1 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

Alive, albeit tortured... such touching words of wisdom. I have felt similar pangs of doubt about my existence, my worth and my relevance. And in many cases, someone, whether a friend, or an acquaintance or a random interaction with another being - has helped me see that alive, albeit tortured, is far better than the drastic alternative. While I know I will never be a Billy Joel in terms of being able to reach out to so many people, and I am hardly a role model, I am lucky to have been fortunate to have my path crossed by others who have blocked me, re-directed me, gotten me through some low points.

AJ, continue to blog, your wide range of topics mmakes me think, to chhallenge myself, to be aware of more than just a narrow tunnel of existence. I am pretty sure you've had a good influence on more than just this blog commenter.

As for my preference... I like to start with a bottle of bubbly, move to the white, and finish with a hearty, bold, red.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home